Monday, October 4, 2010

Grocery shopping on a budget: the 25 items I bought to get me through the week


Hi People!

Happy Monday. So I’ve been struggling with healthy eating on a budget. I’ve had a few weeks where I’ve literally been very close to zero on the bank account, so I’ve had to make do with minimal groceries, and whatever else my parents have in the fridge. (Thank the Lord I still live with them! Otherwise I’d be on an involuntary rapid weight loss plan…)

So anyway, my lovely blog partner Taj came all the way from Brooklyn to Jersey armed with her iPhone, with which she calculated all of my purchases, so that I wouldn’t go over my $60 limit.

The plan was to buy enough goods to last a week, and in order to make the best choices, we stuck to the periphery of the supermarket: the produce, meats and dairy sections, and only went into aisles for specific things I needed. Just note that I already had plenty of whole grain bread, eggs and low-fat cheese at home. So here’s what I bought:

Snacks
1. Rice cakes

Protein
2. Pink salmon cups (like tuna cups)
3. Can of organic chick peas
4. Chicken Breast
5. 1.25 lbs Tilapia filet

Produce
6. Nectarines
7. Kale
8. Yams
9. Cauliflower
10. Sliced mushrooms
11. Baby arugula
12. Red cabbage
13. Spinach
14. Bag of Golden Delicious apples
15. An avocado
16. A lemon
17. Frozen broccoli in microwaveable steam bag
18. Frozen Asian medley veggie mix in microwaveable steam bag

Dairy
19. 32 oz. container of Chobani 0% plain yogurt
20. ½ gallon Silk almond milk

Other
21. Breakfast jam
22. Raisin bran Vitamuffin tops
23. Coconut milk
24. Tribe spicy hummus
25. 1 Amy’s black bean and vegetable burrito

These 25 items cost me a total $63.49. Not bad! And I don’t think I’ve ever had so many vegetables in my fridge before! I’ll check back with you again later this week to let you know how far my groceries stretch.

What’s on your grocery list?

Photo by malloreigh on Flickr.

2 comments: